Esterline Purchasing Manager in Tijuana, Mexico
Esterline Technologies Corporation Purchasing Manager Advanced Sensors Mexico Esterline welcomes people who share our determination and high standards to join us in doing work that moves the world forward. We design, manufacture, and market highly engineered products and systems principally for the aerospace and defense markets. Advanced Sensors Mexico, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Esterline, produces various temperature and speed sensors, as well as electrical harnesses, cables, and related hardware. Company Profile Company Name: Advanced Sensors Mexico, a subsidiary of Esterline Technologies Corporation Industry: Aerospace/Defense Products & Services Number of Employees: 250 Job Overview Title:Purchasing Manager Job Family:Procurement Reports to: Procurement Director Works with: Procurement, Manufacturing Engineers, Machine Shop staff, Warehouse, Planners, Buyers, etc. Location: Tijuana, BC Mexico Type: Full-Time Job Summary The Purchasing Manager leads all company business for a group of commodities and recruits, manages and mentors a team of Purchasing Specialists. He or she is the key internal interface with Engineering, Finance, Logistics, Quality and Manufacturing to establish our global supply chain strategy, supports cross-functional teams during the development and industrialization phases and drives strategic supplier relationships that achieve cost effective procurement goals or technical advantages for the company. Candidates must have strong experience managing global suppliers, exceptional negotiation experience, knowledge of global procurement practices, contracts, laws and regulations, and the ability to lead cross-functional project teams as well as the capacity to contribute consistently and positively in a high-paced, fast-changing and sometimes unpredictable environment.
- Total ownership of key supplier relationships and activities, both strategic and tactical, through the entire life cycle of company projects, from initial sourcing through development, tooling and industrialization phases as well as product launch and ongoing business management.
- Work closely with Engineering and Quality teams to identify, evaluate and select suppliers while balancing cost, quality, lead time and technical considerations.
- Follow industry trends and develop global market analyses that enable the development of commodity strategies and sound make-or-buy analysis supported by detailed cost projections.
- Complete “should cost” and benchmarking analysis as basis for supplier pricing discussions.
- Negotiate all commercial terms and conditions with suppliers for the procurement and delivery of materials, tools, equipment and services with minimal support from Legal team.
- Help suppliers develop manufacturing capabilities by recommending operational improvements and implementation of lean manufacturing techniques.
- Support Engineering as well as Manufacturing to establish a smooth and effective supply chain transition from R&D; to New Product Introduction (NPI) to full production.
- Help create departmental processes from scratch, at the same time mentoring and developing a team of Purchasing Specialists to build a world class Procurement organization.
Track performance of team and suppliers and publish metrics on delivery, quality and cost. Qualifications
Experience in delivering competitive advantage to the business through development and implementation of sourcing strategies for the spend category;
- Ability to lead projects and negotiate with cross functional and cross market teams.
- Global business perspective with 7+ years of experience in an Aerospace, Automotive, Electronics or high volume manufacturing business and at least 3 years of experience as a purchasing or commodity manager.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation, and problem solving skills. Passion for results, strategy, and hands on execution. Creative, calculated risk taker with the ability to manage difficult suppliers and resolve disputes while preserving relationships with suppliers and internal staff.
- Team development and demonstrated leadership in supply chain organizations.
- Strong written and verbal skills as well as organizational and program management capabilities.
- Proficient in Excel, Project, Power Point, Word, ERP systems (SAP or equivalent), BAAN is a Plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good relationship building skills; a proven team player with creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to drive results and obtain information from a team.
- Ability to multi task, problem solve, proactive with good presentation skills and self-initiative.
Demonstrated ability in the Esterline Competencies required for all employees: Customer focus, Ethics & Values, Problem Solving, Integrity & Trust, Functional/Technical Skills, Listening, Action Oriented, Composure, and Values Diversity. Education/Previous Experience Requirements
BA/BS in Engineering discipline
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a Purchasing Manager role
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with aerospace regulatory bodies.
- Minimum 2 years supplier audit experience
Experience in new site/facility setup and site transfer projects. This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to give an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. In addition, all employees of Advanced Sensors Mexico are expected to:
Promote teamwork and cooperative effort
- Help train and give guidance to employees
- Maintain a clean, safe, and unobstructed work area
- Provide customers with the highest quality of products and services.
- Understand and apply appropriate quality improvement processes
- Report to work as scheduled.
Job Title: Purchasing Manager
Req ID: 8741BR
Location: Norwich - Advanced Sensors MEX
State/Province/County: Baja California Norte
Position Type: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor