BorgWarner Inc. Supplier Development Engineer in San Luis Potosí, Mexico
BorgWarner is a global product leader in powertrain solutions. We focus on developing leading powertrain Technologies that improve fuel economy, emissions and performance. Our facilities are located across the globe to provide local support for our diverse customer base.
We operate in two groups: The Engine Group develops air management strategies and products to optimize engines for fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and enhanced performance. BorgWarner’s expertise includes engine timing systems, boosting systems, ignition systems, air and noise management, cooling and controls. The Drivetrain Group harnesses a legacy of more than 100 years as an industry innovator in transmission and all-wheel drive technology. The group leverages this understanding of powertrain clutching technology to develop interactive control systems and strategies for all types of torque management.
BorgWarner PowerDriveSystems is currently looking for a dynamic, results driven individual to join as a Supplier Development Engineer at our SLP Plant in Mexico. In this role, and under direct supervision of the Manager, Quality, the Supplier Development Engineer will be primarily responsible for workingin a professional level to ensure component parts and products are consistently manufactured in total compliance to specified requirements. Applies knowledge and strong understanding of product and process engineering. Leads supplier operations improvement designed to yield reductions in lead time, inventory, PPM / total cost,manufacturing system and ensure ergonomically designed workstations and layouts. Provide technical support (Quality andEngineering) to suppliers in developing their manufacturing systems to produce BorgWarner component parts.
-Works at a specialized, non-management, professional level.
-Responsible for global lean systems and ensuring effective standardization of lean methodologies.
-Implementation of standard for Lean manufacturing in BorgWarner.
-Sanction and process design approval for new product designs at BorgWarner suppliers.
-Standardization of Manufacturing concepts, including design and build of tooling built by internal and external tool making resources.
-Develop in conjunction suppliers the standard for Lean assembly systems, outlining sequence of operations, process flows, machine balance, operator balance, and takt time requirements in process and manufacturing systems.
-Develop SMED Changeover strategies on manufacturing systems.
-Focus operations on the elimination of waste in materials, motion, movement, and machine cycle time.
-Providing SDE functional assistance to the PMO and Program Managers on RCP programs.
-Communication. Includes global communications with Operations, and all functional areas.
-Function as a technical liaison between our Suppliers, BorgWarner Engineering, Purchasing, and Manufacturing Sites, to implement and monitor APQP, PPAP, as well as technical support to resolve quality and other related issues.
-Review component design with suppliers to verify cost, feasibility, capability, gauging, and overall conformance to specified tolerances. Develop plans to improve supplier processes and procedures to meet cost, specification and capability targets.
-Develop target Supplier, quality system, processes, tooling, technical, logistical and gauging equipment to assure compliance to DR standards and specifications
-On-site and local verification and approval of PPAP.
-On-site verification of GP-9 and GP-12.
-Perform Supplier on-site assessments and assistance visits to improve Supplier performance and achieve the corporation’s objectives in the areas of Quality, Cost and Responsiveness. These activities include Potential Supplier QVR, Design reviews, Control Plan Audits, Product Audits, Problem Solving Activities.
-Assess and develop Supplier’s tooling and equipment to determine need for repair and replacement
-Assist DR Manufacturing siteSQE in advanced problem solving and supplier communication.
- Acts as internal consultant, providing technical guidance on complex projects
-Coordinates problem resolution to improve product and process
-Maintains a thorough knowledge of new developments and technology. Monitors projects and recommends changes to improve operating efficiency.
-Determines appropriate quantitative method for solving business / product issues. Addresses / evaluates data using appropriate tools, e.g. predictive statistical models, segmentation analysis, model design & analysis, data analysis, and data mining, etc.
-Evaluates, recommends and improves existing tools and processes.
-Presents findings, recommendations and new ideas to management and business units
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering (ME / EE / MET), or equivalent with advanced education / certification in statistics, applied mathematics, or related field required
• Minimum 4-6 years proven experience applying problem-solving principles to a wide range of business situations is required
• 4-5 years leadership experience in supplier management
• Experience in engineering in a manufacturing industry.
• Works under limited supervision
• Design engineering knowledge, outlining of concepts, development of PFMEA’s, and process flow development. (Note: Knowledge of starting motors, alternators and Hybrid motors would be of benefit, but not required.)
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
• Strong Project Management knowledge (deliverables to a manufacturing project).
• Specialist in Lean Principles.
• Flexible to Changes.
• Understanding of Error-proofing and Poke-Yoke techniques and concepts.
• Organization and planning skills, outlining of project timelines and deliverables.
• Capability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
• Capability to work directly with outside suppliers on equipment and tooling procurement, setting priorities, and following up with outside suppliers to meet project objectives.
• Experience with Kaizen workshops, reducing costs, developing lean improvements in our operations.
• Problem-solving skills.
• Experience as a Supplier Quality Engineer or Quality Engineer or Mfg Engineer with extensive quality related experience
• Core tools knowledge and application
• Project management skills, problem solving, 7 step corrective action methods, error proofing, SPC, Continuous Improvement techniques, lean manufacturing techniques.
• Demonstrated mfg engineering experience starting up or developing operations in one or more of the following areas: machining, cooper wire forming, electronics, forging; In-depth understanding of GD&T and it’s application to design, function, manufacturing and gauging.
• Proficient in use of computers, and various software applications (Excel, Word, MS Outlook/ Express and MS Project).
• Demonstrated experience and understanding of PPAP, GP-09, GP-12 requirements
• Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate and facilitate others, in group situations to achieve corporate objectives. Excellent English skills (both written and oral)
• Training and/or experience in ISO9000/QS9000/TS16949 standards
• Ability to travel to global operations and assisting outside suppliers. Focus on assisting in reducing costs. Travel will include approximately 30% of time.
• Proficient in Computer skills: Outlook, MS Word, Excel, Project.
• Advanced skills in office technology products currently in use at BW (spreadsheets, word processing, presentation software / strong data base management skills required).
• Ability to work independently & collaboratively
• Skilled at presenting information to all audiences, including top management
• Strong analytical & problem-solving skills
• Strong technical skills: manufacturing, product development, supplier interaction, and statistical skills
• Extensive knowledge of metrics, competitive benchmarks, and standards
• High level of technical manufacturing, engineering and product development skills
• Baseline knowledge of automotive products, plant processes and procedures
**Commodities: Roller / Pins, Wire, Bulk, Bearings, Powder Metal, Insulation and Bulk.
• VDA 6.3 Auditor Certification preferred
• Ability to speak / communicate in English , any other language is a plus
BorgWarner Competencies *
Timely Decision Making
Functional / Technical Skills
Ethics and Values
Drive for Results
This position will adhere to Global Star Safety Program, including safety rules, practices and training as outlined in the BorgWarner SLP Safety Policy Manual, which includes the use of equipment, protective devices, or clothing that the employer requires. This individual will work in manners that stress the importance of preventing accidents and illnesses. He/she must take every precaution reasonable in the given circumstance for the protection of themselves and co-workers. In addition, he/she is responsible for reporting all injuries and/or possible dangerous situations, incidents, or occurrences to the immediate supervisor
Title: Supplier Development Engineer
Location: Mexico-San Luis Potosí-SLP-Parque Industrial Tres Naciones
Requisition ID: 1603037