Corning Metal Manufacturing Engineer in Reynosa, Mexico
Scope of Position:
The Metal Manufacturing Engineer provides day-to-day technical engineering support to the fabrication manufacturing shop floor to ensure metal fabrication processes are operating optimally and to meeting customer requirements.
- Create and update manufacturing procedures making sure they are in line to maximize process efficiency (shop floor layout, workflow, and assembly methods).
- Provide engineering support to the shop floor for troubleshooting and resolving product and process related problems
- Define and implement manufacturing cost reduction and product improvement projects as part of a continuous improvement methodology.
- Evaluate and coordinate manufacturing process improvements (product design, materials, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, quality control).
- Support the review of New Product Introduction engineering documentation (prints, process instructions) to ensure they comply with the agreed guidelines for manufacturability, quality, cost, operating specifications, customer and company standard requirements.
- Determine needed equipment and tools to achieve manufacturing goals according to product specifications and requirements.
- Provide guideline to technicians and trainers in the interpretation of drawings and fabrication requirements.
- Provide daily follow up to manufacturing problems and initiate RCA for them to address key area metrics.
- Design and coordinate build of fixtures required for the process.
- Collaborate with training and production departments to develop, coordinate, and implement technical training for employees.
- Estimate production times, personnel requirements, and related costs to provide information to drive management decisions.
- Supervise sheet metal technicians
- Mechanical or Electronics engineering degree or equivalent combination of engineering degree
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 1+ years of Manufacturing Experience
- Sheet metal operation experience
- Ability to identify potential process problems caused by engineering drawings/specifications errors, and implement effective alternatives to fix it.
- Proven experience leading high impact DMAIC methodology projects with proven cost savings. Green belt certified.
- Proven experience applying lean manufacturing tools. Certification or classes.
- Ability to interpret and adapt to technical information in a fluent conversation in English
- Demonstrates creative thinking when applying methodic analytical skills for problem solving
- Ability to effectively communicate with different organizational levels
- Ability to independently work on complex problems with no guidance and make innovative recommendations
- Basic understanding of the complete fabrication process (punching / bending / paint)
- Deep understanding of punching theory, tooling and effect in different metal types
- Deep knowledge on different metal cutting technologies and applications, turrets, stamping presses, laser machines.
- Ability to define and coordinate the implementation of effective solutions to problems in the turrets operation (material, machine, process, program, tooling)
- Ability to define and coordinate the implementation of effective solutions to engineering related issues with laser cutting process
- Ability to implement alternative solutions to chronic problems based on other different technologies and understand the impact of these in subsequent processes (bending / paint)
- Deep understanding of metal forming (bending) theory, tooling and effect in different metal types
- Ability to define and coordinate the implementation of effective solutions to problems for bending and PEM insertion tools and specific applications
- Ability to create and coordinate the implementation of complex bending and PEM insertion machines programs, setup optimization.
- Ability to implement solution alternatives to chronic bending problems based on other alternate technologies and understand their impact
- Deep understanding of welding theory, different applications, and their impact on subsequent processes (grinding / paint). Ability to implement and coordinate the implementation of complex welding problems, and deploy alternate solutions based on different technologies.